How to make PaintShop Pro, Corel Instant Viewer and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer the default image viewer in Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
Follow steps below if you are using Windows XP:
1. Go to your Start menu and access the Control Panel.
2. Look for an icon called Folder Options and open it. If you don't see this icon, on the left bar below where it says Control Panel, click on Switch to Classic View.
3. Select the third tab labeled File Types.
4. Scroll down to JPG, the most common photo file type (you may want to change GIF as well), and highlight it. .
5. Click on Change, and you will be presented with a list of options to choose from.
If you cannot see the program that you want to select as default image viewer, click on the Browse button and select your desired program. Just make sure that the file extension is supported by the selected program.
Place a checkmark beside 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with extensions with all program supported image filetypes.
7. Select OK to apply the changes.
Follow steps below if you are using Windows 7:'
1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button.
2. Click on Control panel and then select Default Programs.
3. Set your default programs.
Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default.
4. Select PaintShop Pro, Corel Instant Viewer or Windows Photo Viewer in the list and click on Set this Program as default.
5. Select OK to apply the changes.
Follow steps below if you are using Windows Vista:
1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
2. Click on the Programs link.
3. Click on the Make a file type always open in a specific program link under the Default Programs heading.
4. In the Set Associations window, scroll down the list until you see the file extension that you want to change the default program for.
5. Click and highlight the selected file extension.
6. Click the Change program... button above the scroll bar.
The Open With dialog box should appear.
7. Look through the options in the Programs area and choose the application that you want to have open that particular file extension with.
Note: The applications listed under Recommended Programs may contain the most applicable programs for this file type. However, be sure to look at the applications under Other Programs. You may need to click the downwards arrow () to expand the list of these programs.
Note: Click Browse... to search through your computer for any program not listed that you'd like to use.
8. Click the OK button in the Open With window. Windows Vista will refresh the list of file associations to show the new default program to open this type of file.
9. Click the Close button at the bottom of the Set Associations window. You may also close the Control Panel window if it's still open.
Important: Any image can still be opened with any program as long as it is a supported file type. You will need to consult your program manual for supported file types and directions on how to open images.
Keywords: default image, viewer, change default, set