This error can show up as "invalid argument" as well.
Step 1 Compatibility Mode
Studio may be set up to run in compatibility mode which can cause problems. To resolve this follow these steps:
- Right click on the Studio icon on your desktop
- Select Properties
- Select the Compatibility tab in the Studio Properties window
- If the checkbox next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" is checked, uncheck it.
- Click Apply.
- Try to launch Studio
Step 2 Sound Drivers
We also have found in some cases this is cause by a problem with the sound drivers. The problem could be caused by the following things:
- Outdate or improper sound card driver in Windows 7.
- Improperly installed or corrupted sound driver.
- Possible problems with early windows 7 sound drivers.
- Windows 7 upgrades can cause sound driver problems.
In most cases downloading the latest Windows 7 driver for your sound card from the card makers website will solve these issues.
If updating the sound drivers does not help, right click on the Studio start menu shortcut and select properties. See in compatibility tab if Studio is set to run in compatibility mode. If so, uncheck this option.
Go to C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Program or if you have 64 bit Windows 7, C:\Program Files x86\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Program and look for Studio.exe. Right click on that files and select properties. See in compatibility tab if Studio is set to run in compatibility mode. If so, uncheck this option.
Now open Studio. By now the issue should be resolved.