WordPerfect is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) application. This means that WordPerfect will communicate with the currently selected printer to determine the layout/display of the given document. This layout is determined by the information provided to WordPerfect from the printer driver currently installed. In some instances, there are variations between driver manufacturers and even drivers for the same printer but on different operating systems. These subtle variations can cause some pagination/formatting issues when opening documents created on other workstations.
WordPerfect has an option which can be enabled if you wish the document to maintain the original formatting no matter what printer is being utilized. This option sets up documents, fonts, and other settings without communicating with a printer.
To customize compatibility options for opening WordPerfect documents you need to disable printer metrics:
- Click Tools, Settings.
- Click Convert.
- In the Convert settings dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
- In the Options area, enable the Do not format document using print metrics check box.
- If you wish to have the customized settings saved in the default template and applied to all WordPerfect documents that you open, then Click Template.
- Click Yes.
- You cannot customize the settings for opening files created in WordPerfect 5.1 or 5.2, or in Microsoft Word version 6 or later.
- You can restore the default settings for opening documents created in WordPerfect version 6 and up by choosing WordPerfect 6/7/8/9/10/11/12/X3/X4 from the Recommended formatting options for list box and clicking Template.