The steps below will show you how to turn a colored picture into a black and white image using Corel PaintShop Pro, while at the same time, keeping a portion of the colored image as a creative effect.
Open your photo
- If you know where your photo is stored on your computer, open it. If you need to, you can find it using Paint Shop Pro Photo's Organizer. Begin by typing the file in the search box at the top of the Organizer. Your collection of image files is automatically filtered.
- Once you find the photo you want to use, double-click the photo to open it in the workspace.
- Before we begin, make sure your Layers palette is open. It should be on the right; if it's not, just press F8 to open it.
Fix your photo's color and brightness
- On the Learning Center, click Adjust and then Smart Photo Fix.
- Smart Photo Fix automatically suggests corrections for your photo. You can see what your photo would look like with the corrections applied in the after pane at the top of the dialog box. If you like the suggested corrections just click OK. If you want, you can adjust the sliders until you get the look you like. When you're done, click OK.
Create a black & white photo
- From the menu at the top of Paint Shop Pro Photo choose Layers > Duplicate. This is going to duplicate your Background Layer, so we can make it black and white.
- On your Layers palette, you'll have a new layer called Copy of Background. Make sure this layer is selected (it will be blue if it's selected).
- Now, on the Learning Center, click Home, then Effects, and finally Convert to Black and White.
- From the drop down menu, try different filter colors. Each filter will give you a different look, so you can choose the one you like best. You can adjust the strength slider to add more or less contrast to your photo. When you're ready, click OK.
Hand color your photo
- From the Tools toolbar on the left, select the Eraser tool. Now you can let your creativity shine! Start erasing the areas of your black and white photo where you want the color to shine through. In our photo we're going to erase over the scarves and mittens, so you can see their color.
- You adjust the size of the eraser to fit your photo using the sliders in the Tool Options palette at the top of your workspace. Also if you make a mistake you can just press Ctrl + Z to undo, or right-click and paint over your mistake. Paint Shop Pro Photo will 'unerase' that area for you.
- Before we can use our new hand-colored photo in our holiday card, we need to merge the layers. From the menu, select Layers > Merge > Merge All (Flatten).
Add a frame or border
- Let's spice up the photo before we put it on our card. On the Learning Center click Home, then Text and Graphics, and finally Add Frames and Photo Edges.
- To choose a frame, click the arrow next to the thumbnail of the picture frame. Here you can browse through the frames and photo edges. Just click the frame you like, you can adjust it using the options on the right side of the dialog box. When you're happy with the look, click OK.
- If you like, instead of adding a frame you can add a solid color border. On the Learning Center click Add Borders. Click inside the Color box to open the Materials palette, where you can choose your color. You can adjust the thickness of your borders by adjusting the numbers in the Size in pixels. All the numbers will change as long as you checked the Symmetric box. Click OK to apply the border. If you don't like the look just press Ctrl + Z to undo and try it again.
Save your work
- Choose File > Save As and name the picture. In the Save as type area, choose JPG JPEG . Click Save.
Keywords: black, white, color, create, how to, project, single