A concordance is a list of words or phrases and the page numbers where each word or phrase occurs. You can generate a concordance as an index or include it in an index of marked headings and subheadings.
A concordance file is a document you create consisting of words and phrases you want to include in the concordance. Type each word or phrase at the beginning of a line, then press Enter before typing the next word or phrase.
The generated concordance uses the capitalization of the concordance file. For example, if you create a "butterfly" entry in the concordance file, then generate the concordance with a document that includes "Butterfly," all occurrences of "butterfly" and "Butterfly" are listed under the "butterfly" heading.
To create a concordance file for an index,
- Click File New.
- Type a word or phrase to include in the concordance file, then press Enter.
- Repeat step 2 for each word and phrase in the concordance.
- Click File Save As, then type a filename.
- Open the document you want to create a concordance for.
- Click where you want the concordance to appear, type a title for the concordance (or index), then press Enter one or more times to add blank lines.
- Click Tools Reference Index Define.
- Specify the concordance filename, then click OK.
- Click Generate.