Everyone loves the classy look of a vignette frame on their photo. Now, with Paint Shop Pro Photo you can make your own customized frame complete with a background color you choose! It’s easy, and we’ll show you how to do it with this tutorial.
What you'll need
- Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo XI
- Sample image PSPXI_10.jpg (download)
When you complete this tutorial, you'll be able to
- Select a background color
- Use the Shape Selection tool
- Add a colored vignette to a photo
- Crop your photo
Open the Photo
1. Download the PSPXI_10.jpg and save it in your My Pictures folder.
2. Once you have the image saved, type PSPXI in the search box at the top of the Organizer. Your collection of image files is automatically filtered, so that only the images that start with PSPXI appear.
3. Double-click the sample image to open it in the workspace.
Select Your Background Color
4. Now we need to select a color from the Materials Palette, if your palette is not open just press F6 and it should appear on the right side of your Paint Shop Pro workspace.
5. To select a background color, click the lower Background and
Fill Properties box.
6. On the Material Properties you can select your background color by:
* Clicking in the outer circle to identity the basic color you'd like
* Clicking in the inner square to choose the specific color
When you find the color you like, click OK.
Make Your Selection
7. On the Learning Center click the Collage button, then Make Selections, and finally Shape Selection tool.
8 In the Tool Options palette at the top of the screen, use these settings:
* Selection type: Ellipse * Mode: Replace * Feather: 40
9. Place your cursor near the little boy's mouth or in the center of the photo.
10. Click and drag until the ellipse outlines the portion of the photo you want enclosed in the frame - be careful not to go off the page! To finish your selection, let go of your mouse button and you'll see the marching ants marquee form a circle around the boy.
11. If you don't like your selection, you can undo your selection and start over. Just press Ctrl+D.
Add a Colored Vignette
12. Now, with the framed area selected choose Selections > Invert from the menu at the top of your Paint Shop Pro Photo screen.
13 Once you've inverted your selection, press Delete and hello vignette! Turn off the selection by pressing Ctrl+D.
Crop Your Photo
14. On the Learning Center, click the Home button.
15 Now click the Adjust button, and then Crop.
16. The crop toolbar and crop box will appear on your photo. Press the rotate button on the toolbar to make the Crop tool vertical.
17. Now, grab one of the corners of the crop box and drag it out until the vignette is centered. Once you're done, click OK or double-click inside the crop box to apply the crop.
18. All you need to do now, is save your photo!